tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 23 16:25:39 1997

Re: KLBC - Fresh perspective

At 14:56 97-10-23 -0700, SI'IluD wrote:

}Qov yI'qel

If this were {Qov yIqel} you'd be asking people to consider me.  {Qov
yI'qel} just doesn't make sense, there being no known word {yI'}.  Don't
separate syllables with an added {'} mark.

}joH'a'wI'vaD qumwIjvaD je Qu'wIj vIta'qu'taH
}I will continue to accomplish my duty to my God and my country (government)
}
}<Scout> chut vIlobtaH
}I will continue to obey the Scout Law
}
}reH ghotpu' vIQaH
}I will help people always
}
}jIHoS'eghmoHtaH
}I will continually cause myself to be strong
}
}jIQubchu'taH
}I will continue to think clearly
}
}batlh jIvangtaH
}I will continue to act with honor
}
}'e' vIlay'qu'
}this I promise

maj.  qay'be'.

}First the promise, now the Law...
}
}Instead of saying "A scout is..." I chose to use the first person on the
}phrases since that is really what the law intends. The law consists of
}twelve points:
}
}Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful,
}thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.
}
}Here are my interpretations of these concepts: (they are in corresponding
}order)
}
}chovoqlaH,
Or {vIvoqlu'}  "I can be trusted."

}jImatlh,
}jIQaH,

{jIQaHqang}  "I am willing to help" seems closer to "helpful"

}HochvaD jup jIH,
}jItay,
Is {jItay} or {jIDochHa'} closer to courteous?

}jImutHa',
}I don't really like <jImutHa'> for kind, but the thesaurus does show
}un-selfish as a
}synonym for kind.

It works for me.  Other ideas:
{pung vIlo'} {jIjIj} {jIqejbe'}

}jIlob, jIQuch,
}Huch lo'DI' jIyep,

{Huch vIlo'DI'}, or perhaps {vIlo'pa'} or {vIlo'taHvIS}

}jIyoH, jISay', 'ej qa'wI' vIquvmoH.

majQa'.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian