tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 23 16:25:36 1997

Re: English

At 14:41 97-10-23 -0700, Kanlath wrote:

}Okay, I'm pretty new to tlhIngan-Hol.  I have read about 7 or 8 of the
digests }that I have recieved and am still no further along in learning than
I was }before I subscribed. If anyone could help me learn words, grammar,
and anything }else involved, I would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Kanlath!  This list is like an extended set of footnotes and
commentary on The Klingon Dictionary (TKD).  You will NOT get very far at
all if you don't have that book.  If it isn't in the science fiction section
of your local bookstore, ask them to order it from Pocket Books for you.
_The Klingon Dictionary_ by Marc Okrand. ISBN 0-671-74559-X.  If you can't
get to a bookstore that deals with Pocket Books, but you do have a credit
card, you can order it from the Klingon Language Institute at
http://www.kli.org.  No the KLI doesn't get any profit out of selling these
books.  It's just the only way to learn.

If you've got TKD and the list STILL isn't helping you make progress, I
recommend you just concentrate on those messages that are marked "KLBC"
(Klingon Language Beginner's Contribution).  You are encouraged to
contribute some of your own.  Try writing some simple sentences or building
up some nouns with the suffixes in chapter 3, and then posting them.  Ignore
the postings that are too obscure--and later, the ones that are too easy.

I -- I'm known as Qov here -- have the job of helping newcomers like
yourself understand the words grammar and everything else involved, but you
need to start yourself off with TKD.

}> nuqneH! pongwIj' 'oH Kanlath'e'!  Kanlath Koloth puqloD!
}
}By the way, did I use correct spelling,
}and grammar in above message?  Thanks.

You've said  "Heya! Kanlath is my name.  Kanlath son of Koloth."
You might want to swap the {pongwIj}  and {Kanlath}.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level