tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 23 14:52:48 1997

KLBC - Fresh perspective

Qov yI'qel

I have been away from the list for a while and have gone back to some of
my earlier writings. I would like a fresh perspective on these two
translations.
I have modified them since I originally translated them.

On my honor, I promise to to my best, to do my duty to God and my country,
to obey the Scout Law, to help other people at all times, to keep myself
physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.
----
joH'a'wI'vaD qumwIjvaD je Qu'wIj vIta'qu'taH
<Scout> chut vIlobtaH
reH ghotpu' vIQaH
jIHoS'eghmoHtaH
jIQubchu'taH
batlh jIvangtaH
'e' vIlay'qu'

Line by line:

joH'a'wI'vaD qumwIjvaD je Qu'wIj vIta'qu'taH
I will continue to accomplish my duty to my God and my country (government)

<Scout> chut vIlobtaH
I will continue to obey the Scout Law

reH ghotpu' vIQaH
I will help people always

jIHoS'eghmoHtaH
I will continually cause myself to be strong

jIQubchu'taH
I will continue to think clearly

batlh jIvangtaH
I will continue to act with honor

'e' vIlay'qu'
this I promise

---------------
First the promise, now the Law...

Instead of saying "A scout is..." I chose to use the first person on the
phrases since that is really what the law intends. The law consists of
twelve points:

Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful,
thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

Here are my interpretations of these concepts: (they are in corresponding
order)

chovoqlaH, jImatlh, jIQaH, HochvaD jup jIH, jItay, jImutHa', jIlob, jIQuch,
 Huch
lo'DI' jIyep, jIyoH, jISay', 'ej qa'wI' vIquvmoH.

I don't really like <jImutHa'> for kind, but the thesaurus does show
un-selfish as a
synonym for kind.
SI'IluD
wa'Hu' jIboghbe'