tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 27 00:18:33 1997

KLBC: Buy or Die

On Mon, 26 May 1997, David Trimboli wrote:

> Actually, I imagine the writer saw the phrase {bIje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh}
> translated as "Buy or die," and thought
>
> bIje'be'chugh = buy
> vaj = or
> bIHegh = die.

bIje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh... okay, I know this is the caconical phrase "Buy
or die".. though I find it interesting that translating it out into
Terran, it becomes:

bIje'be'chugh => If you do not buy
vaj => then
bIHegh => you (will) die

Sure, it sounds sound (well IMHO it does), but it sounds so... "formal" ?

I'm wondering why something like:

bIHegh bIje'be'chugh

could not be considered equally valid, the fact that "vaj" is now missing
gives:

If you do not buy, you will die...

A little chopped yes, but it seems equally effective, your views, SuStel?

Q'ISto'va
Eliseo Christopher d'Annunzio, Esquire
E-Mail: [email protected]
Hovjaj: 97401.23