tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 25 19:51:58 1997

Re: mu'mey mISmoH, my opinions

On Sun, 25 May 1997, Neal Schermerhorn wrote:

> Here are just four words I'd like anyone's input on.
>
> 1) chagh - drop (v)
>
> vIchagh = I drop it.   chalvo' chagh = It dropped from the sky.
>
> 'Drop' is an English word with an intransitive and a transitive sense. Is
> 'chagh' (A) just like English? (B) transitive (as in the first example) (C)
> intransitive (as in the second example) or (D) Gee, well, (scratch head) ...

In this case, chagh would be best suited as in vIchagh. In the second
example, something on the lines of "chalvo' pum" (It fell from the sky)
would be more suitable. Usually something that is dropped is dropped by an
actual entity (intelligent/semi-intelligent being)

> 2) chegh - return (v)
>
> paq vIchegh = I return the book.   juHwIjDaq jichegh = I return to my home.

First sentence again, in the second sentence, once again IMHO, something
on the lines of <going back> to the home (I can't recall the correct
syntax for this in Klingon). chegh most likely is the return of an item, I
must admit I am inclined to say "juHwIjDaq jiHeD" (I retreat to my home),
though my Klingon better half prefers not to use this as a valid opinion
considering the connotations of such a sentence are those of a cowardly
action...

> 3) chID - admit (v)
>
> Human jIH 'e' vIchID = I admit I'm a human.
> lupwI'Daq muchID lupwI' DeghwI' = The bus driver admits me onto the bus.
>
> Here, 'admit' has two common meanings in English. Both can't be correct in
> Klingon, I'm sure.

Admit would be mostly used for first example, to give confession to
certain statement/fact that blah blah blah... In the second example
"chaw'" (to permit,allow) would be better used...

lupwI'Daq muchaw' lupwI' DeghwI' = The bus driver permits me onto the bus.

> 4) Duv - advance (v)
>
> Duv jagh = The enemy advances.
> ragh Ho'Du' 'e' Duvbe' HaQchor = Saccharin does not advance tooth decay.
>
> Again, which 'advance' did Okrand or Maltz intend?

Once again, the first... (what we should realize that most of the Klingon
language involves militarial meaning, while other words which may sound
similar are used as different meanings, this is once again IMHO) I guess
that something on the lines of of "num" (to promote), in place of Duv,
though I am very wary of this one... considering that this is yet another
militarial word... I leave others to debate this one...

> P.S. And why HaQchor - saccharin (n), but no word for 'sugar'?? I believe
> sugar is more fitting to a warrior's tastes, not to mention my obversations of
> Klingon teeth.

Well, lets consider this, Klingons, being from another planet would not
know of sugar (which is developed from sugar cane etc) here in tera'.
Besides being in the future, sugar would have been replaced with the more
"healthy" alternative of saccharin with the introduction of Federation
cultures... As to Klingon teeth, well I don't see any word for toothbrush
or dentist, do you?

Q'ISto'va
Eliseo Christopher d'Annunzio, Esquire
E-Mail: [email protected]