tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 25 12:08:25 1997

mu'mey mISmoH

Here are just four words I'd like anyone's input on.

1) chagh - drop (v)

vIchagh = I drop it.   chalvo' chagh = It dropped from the sky.

'Drop' is an English word with an intransitive and a transitive sense. Is
'chagh' (A) just like English? (B) transitive (as in the first example) (C)
intransitive (as in the second example) or (D) Gee, well, (scratch head) ...

2) chegh - return (v)

paq vIchegh = I return the book.   juHwIjDaq jichegh = I return to my home.

Same question.

3) chID - admit (v)

Human jIH 'e' vIchID = I admit I'm a human.
lupwI'Daq muchID lupwI' DeghwI' = The bus driver admits me onto the bus.

Here, 'admit' has two common meanings in English. Both can't be correct in
Klingon, I'm sure.

4) Duv - advance (v)

Duv jagh = The enemy advances.
ragh Ho'Du' 'e' Duvbe' HaQchor = Saccharin does not advance tooth decay.

Again, which 'advance' did Okrand or Maltz intend?

P.S. And why HaQchor - saccharin (n), but no word for 'sugar'?? I believe
sugar is more fitting to a warrior's tastes, not to mention my obversations of
Klingon teeth.

Back to archive top level