tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 25 16:41:45 1997

RE: mu'mey mISmoH

jatlh Voragh:

> |1) chagh - drop (v)
> |
> |vIchagh = I drop it.   chalvo' chagh = It dropped from the sky.
> |
> |'Drop' is an English word with an intransitive and a transitive sense. Is
> |'chagh' (A) just like English? (B) transitive (as in the first example) (C)

> |intransitive (as in the second example) or (D) Gee, well, (scratch head)
>
> chagh has never been used by Okrand in a canonical source so we don't yet
> know which one it is. However, I suspect he meant it to be transitive, so
> one could say dramatic cliches like: pu'HIch yIchagh ("Drop the phaser!").
> This may also apply to another unattested word, pep "raise", which would
> allow for: ghopDu' tIpep ("Raise your hands!).

Don't forget that there is already a word which is the intransitive meaning:
{pum}.  Until there's canon, I will tend to think that this particular
duplication wouldn't happen, and so {chagh} would have the transitive meaning.

> |2) chegh - return (v)
> |
> |paq vIchegh = I return the book.   juHwIjDaq jichegh = I return to my home.
> |
> |Same question.
>
> Opposite answer. chegh is a verb of motion. MSN defines it as "Verb, to
> come back to."

Beware!  We've had reports that Marc Okrand did NOT write the MSN definitions!
 Considering their content, I believe that (actually, I believed it before we
had those reports).

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian