tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 28 21:35:47 1997

Re: mu'mey mISmoH

Steven Boozer wrote:

> On Sun, 25 May 1997, Neal Schermerhorn wrote:
>
> |Here are just four words I'd like anyone's input on.

One thing you can rest assured of, this bunch has opinions!  <g>

> |1) chagh - drop (v)
> |
> |vIchagh = I drop it.   chalvo' chagh = It dropped from the sky.
> |
> |'Drop' is an English word with an intransitive and a transitive sense. Is
> |'chagh' (A) just like English? (B) transitive (as in the first example) (C)
> |intransitive (as in the second example) or (D) Gee, well, (scratch head) ...
>
> chagh has never been used by Okrand in a canonical source so we don't yet
> know which one it is. However, I suspect he meant it to be transitive, so

I agree.  I also suspect that "It dropped from the sky" would be
translated using {pum} "fall".

> |4) Duv - advance (v)
> |
> |Duv jagh = The enemy advances.
> |ragh Ho'Du' 'e' Duvbe' HaQchor = Saccharin does not advance tooth decay.
> |
> |Again, which 'advance' did Okrand or Maltz intend?
>
> There is no canon, but surely it's the first which is more useful in its
> military sense. Okrand was writing a language for warriors, not scientists
> or historians. On that note, we also have two other ambiguous words: Ser
> "progress" (n.) and tlhetlh "progress (v.)--neither used yet in canon.

I'm surprised no one else gave the obvious answer.  "Advance" in the
second sentence above clearly would be formed from {'Itlh} "be advanced,
be highly developed".

ragh Ho'Du' 'e' 'ItlhmoHbe' HaQchor

qar'a'?

--