tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 27 05:55:18 1997

Re: mu'mey mISmoH

My opinions:

ghItlh Neal Schermerhorn
>1) chagh - drop (v)
> vIchagh = I drop it.   chalvo' chagh = It dropped from the sky.
>'Drop' is an English word with an intransitive and a transitive sense. Is
>'chagh' (A) just like English? (B) transitive (as in the first example) (C)
>intransitive (as in the second example) or (D) Gee, well, (scratch head) ...

A good rule of thumb I've always found for this kind of this is to choose the
one with more action involved.  It seems to work here (witness SuStel's comment
on {pum})

>2) chegh - return (v)
>
>paq vIchegh = I return the book.   juHwIjDaq jichegh = I return to my home.
>
>Same question.

Here, the second meaning seems to work, with canon as well as the word "nobHa'"
"give back," which is good for the first meaning.  It's from TKW:  "Huch
lunobHa'bogh verenganpu''e' tIvoqQo'."  "Don't trust Ferengi who give back
money."

>4) Duv - advance (v)
>
>Duv jagh = The enemy advances.
>ragh Ho'Du' 'e' Duvbe' HaQchor = Saccharin does not advance tooth decay.

The first meaning definitely involves more action, and, as Voragh said, it's
much more military.

>P.S. And why HaQchor - saccharin (n), but no word for 'sugar'?? I believe
>sugar is more fitting to a warrior's tastes, not to mention my obversations of
>Klingon teeth.

Maybe it's the taHqeqing mechanicalization in the tlhIngan wo'.
Qapla'
qoror

Back to archive top level