tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 25 16:41:42 1997

RE: KLBC: How about this?

Stardate: 97395.78 jatlh Q'ISto'va:

> qabliJ jIghorqu' betleHwIj bIHotqu'chugh !!
> (You *toucha* my bat'tleh, I *breaka* your face!)

The only problem with this sentence is your use of the no-object prefixes
{jI-} and {bI-} on verbs which definitely do have objects.  Both {qablIj} and
{betleHwIj} are third-person, singular objects.  Therefore, say the following:

qablIj vIghorqu' betleHwIj DaHotqu'chugh!

> I'm a little worried as to the emphatic -qu' after Hot, but as far as I
> can tell from my recent TKD, it seems plausible enough, -qu' being a
> rover...

There's nothing wrong with it, though I probably wouldn't choose it for that
spot myself.  You don't need to emphasize the touching part, you need to
emphasize the breaking part.

qablIj vIghorqu' betleHwIj DaHotchugh!

Maybe even add {jay'} at the end of this sentence . . .

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level