tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 29 09:32:45 1997

Re: Rules for LaserQuest

ja' Carey and/or Bryce Fields <[email protected]>:
>jIqetbe'.
>  (I will not run.)

qoror has suggested using {-Qo'} here instead of {-be'}.  I agree, but
make sure you realize that the "won't" meaning does *not* imply future
tense, but refusal.

Oh, SuStel picked up on that already:
>{jIqetQo'} really means "I refuse to run."  If that's what you mean, fine,
>but
>if you simply mean "I will not run," you just say {jIqetbe'}

I disagree; {jIqetQo'} seems perfectly appropriate to me; I might
translate it as "I choose not to run."  {jIqetbe'} sounds quite a
bit weaker in this context.  I think this "I will not run" meaning
is exactly why {-Qo'} has the word "won't" in its definition.

>Also, I'm wanting to know if anyone knows the literal translation of the
>word "banzai" (my nickname).  I want to translate it into tlhIngan Hol.  I
>have heard that it means "may we live for 10,000 years" or "may we live
>forever", but I do not know how reliable my sources are.  Anyone?

Whatever it may once have meant literally, it is now merely a battle
cry.  Like shouting "Geronimo" when jumping from an airplane, actual
origin and meaning is irrelevant.  If you want a similar phrase from
the Klingon language, try {Qapla'} or {maHIv}.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level