tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 29 09:08:53 1997

RE: meaty translation

ja' HurghwI':
>So you'd rather one says "No question marks." than "No question marks?"

I can't tell whether you're making a statement about two phrases, or
asking a question about them.  The second phrase includes a question
apply to the entire sentence as well.  The sentence is not worded as
a question, but the context of the discussion implies that you would
not be saying anything unless you wanted either to clarify things in
your own mind or to challenge something that was said earlier.

I think this drives home SuStel's point about the undesirability of
using question marks on a statement in order to try to turn it into
a question.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level