tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 30 11:48:04 1997

Re: Rules for LaserQuest

>Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 10:15:12 -0800 (PST)
>From: Alan Anderson <[email protected]>
>
>ja' Carey and/or Bryce Fields <[email protected]>:
>>jIqetbe'.
>>  (I will not run.)
>
>qoror has suggested using {-Qo'} here instead of {-be'}.  I agree, but
>make sure you realize that the "won't" meaning does *not* imply future
>tense, but refusal.
>
>Oh, SuStel picked up on that already:
>>{jIqetQo'} really means "I refuse to run."  If that's what you mean, fine,
>>but
>>if you simply mean "I will not run," you just say {jIqetbe'}
>
>I disagree; {jIqetQo'} seems perfectly appropriate to me; I might
>translate it as "I choose not to run."  {jIqetbe'} sounds quite a
>bit weaker in this context.  I think this "I will not run" meaning
>is exactly why {-Qo'} has the word "won't" in its definition.

I'm with ghunchu'wI', as I said before.  "jIqetQo'" is just the right
meaning here, and for this reason.  The case is clearly someone making a
promise or determination: I will not run, by my own choosing.  That's why I
once translated "fast" (the noun, as in instance of not eating) as
"SopQo'ghach" (note that it's not a bare verb + ghach!), and not with
Sopbe': because fasting is *voluntarily* choosing not to eat.

~mark

Back to archive top level