tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 25 15:47:51 1997

Re: KLBC: Practicing...

jatlh SuStel:

> When you're using {neH} to trivilialize an action, to say I'm *just* or
> *merely* doing something, you must put {neH} *after* the verb.  Also, if
> you're using it with a noun to mean *only* that noun, you put it after the
> noun.

HIvqa' veqlargh.  I was merely (no pun intended) using the "adverbs
generally come first" part of TKD, and sorta forgot about the {neH}
exception.

> > qeqvaD "KLBC" lulo'be'law' ghotpu'.
>
> I think this is the wrong kind of "for."  What you mean is, "People don't
> seems to use KLBC in order to practice."
>
> qeqmeH "KLBC" lulo'be'law' ghotpu'.

Yeah... that's definately right! <sighs> ;-) Once again, I didn't look
close enough, and merely consulted the affix chart, searching for
"for."  However, now I know.

> > jIQaghbe' vItul.
>
> One usually errs in the sentences saying they hope they did not err.  This is
> a sentence-as-object, and it needs an {'e'} (see TKD 6.2.5):
>
> jIQaghbe' 'e' vItul.

One of my major problems has always been the usage of {'e'}.  I was
(mistakenly)  basing {jIQaghbe' vItul} off of then usual usage of
{vIneH}, as in my previous sentance of {mu'tlhegh ghom tIq vIghItlh
vIneH}.  Howevr, looking now at page 67  of TKD I can see the source of
my error.  Also, now that I reread this section, it seems to make
perfect sense.  Guess I must have not paid enough attention the first
time around!

> > DalaDlaH vIneH!
>
> vIlaDlaHchu'!

DalaDlaHchu' 'e' jIQuchbej.

I am a bit uncertain about this sentance.  Does the {'e'} translate 100%
1:1 with "that?"  Obviously, I want to say, "I am certainly happy that
you can read them perfectly."  Did I get it right?

> bIlugh.
> motlh mu'tlheghHommey neH ghItlh taghwI'pu'.
> Do'Ha'.
> bIqeqtaH 'e' yImevQo'!
> "KLBC" Dayajchu'.
> tlhIngan Hol laHlIj DaDubba'lI'!

qatlho'!  I was pretty happy when I sat down to translate this.  I
actually understood a lot of the words (but I still don't have all of
the affixes memorized), so I could get the gist of it without even
opening the Dictionary.  Of course, I did open it, just to make sure...
;-)

Oh yeah.  A few people recently have been asking how to learn vocabulary
fast. They have little problem with grammar but have to flip through
pages of TKD to look up words.  One of the best tools I've used (and
probably that which allowed me some mild success above) is the flashcard
game of the {pojwI'} program.  I set it to Klingon Multi-choice and go
at it for a while every now and then.  Right now, I'm averaging about
62% recognition, but hopefully that will increase with time.  Qapla'!

-mIqIraH

Back to archive top level