tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 24 15:03:41 1997

RE: KLBC: Practicing...

jatlh mIqIraH:

> neH tlhIngan Hol vIqeqlI'.

When you're using {neH} to trivilialize an action, to say I'm *just* or
*merely* doing something, you must put {neH} *after* the verb.  Also, if
you're using it with a noun to mean *only* that noun, you put it after the
noun.

tlhIngan Hol vIqeqlI' neH

> pIyu'meH qeqvaD joq "KLBC" vIlo'laH,
> qar'a'?

Don't separate verbs and nouns with noun conjunctions (or verb conjunctions).
Find a way to say this with both verbs or both nouns.  Fortunately, {qeq} is
both a verb and a noun.

Also, make the subject of the first part of the sentence agree with the second
part, or the other way round.

pIyu'meH qoj maqeqmeH "KLBC" wIlo'laH, qar'a'?

> qeqvaD "KLBC" lulo'be'law' ghotpu'.

I think this is the wrong kind of "for."  What you mean is, "People don't
seems to use KLBC in order to practice."

qeqmeH "KLBC" lulo'be'law' ghotpu'.

> neH mu'tlheghHommey
> lughItlh.

Careful!  If the object is plural, you won't be using the {lu-} prefix!

Same {neH} problem.  You could do one of two things:

mu'tlheghHommey neH ghItlh.
They write only little short sentences.

mu'tlheghHommey ghItlh neH.
They merely write little short sentences.

> mu'tlhegh ghom tIq vIghItlh vIneH.

majQa'!

> jIQaghbe' vItul.

One usually errs in the sentences saying they hope they did not err.  This is
a sentence-as-object, and it needs an {'e'} (see TKD 6.2.5):

jIQaghbe' 'e' vItul.

> DalaDlaH vIneH!

vIlaDlaHchu'!

bIlugh.
motlh mu'tlheghHommey neH ghItlh taghwI'pu'.
Do'Ha'.
bIqeqtaH 'e' yImevQo'!
"KLBC" Dayajchu'.
tlhIngan Hol laHlIj DaDubba'lI'!

> P.S. How does one go about setting the list back to normal mode after
> its been set to digest?

I don't know.  It looks like the subscribe message doesn't say.
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the inner workings of the list.
Holtej?

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian