tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 25 15:00:22 1997

Re: Dax & nuq Hech jIH

jatlh SuStel:

> Well, here's just another way to interepret "what do you want?"  But Hamlet
> uses {nuqneH} as "Greetings, fellows, I'm entering the room now, and I thought
> I'd say something to break the ice."  It's not an inquiry.  In my opinion,
> {nuqneH} is an inquiry.

Having not actually seen the KSRP version of Hamlet, I was only basing
my comments on second-hand information.

> Actually, I imagine that Riker read his version of TKD and misunderstood
> (again, my opinion) the word {nuqneH} the way most people do at first.

Agreed 100%.

> I *don't* think Klingons would use {nuqneH} incorrectly with humans just
> because the humans are too ethnocentric to get it right!

That's not quite what I meant to imply.  I meant that *humans* continue
to use it incorrectly even though the "know" better, just since there's
no real way to say "Hi!"  Stubborn, arrogant, proud Klingons would never
change their language just for convenience when dealing with pitiful
humans, would they? {{;-)

-mIqIraH

Back to archive top level