tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 07 16:33:19 1997

RE: "nuqneH" Sajatlh

Message text written by "David Trimboli"
>> The literal way of translating my sentence would be "I will cause
> you to be destroyed."

No, it does not.  {Qaw'} means "destroy," not "be destroyed."  There's a world
of difference between these two.
<

All right, I've goofed a bit.  I was slightly wrong in my message, so I'll list
some problems.  Okrand wasn't consistent in his examples with "-moH."  Some of
them are passive, and some active -- I'll list all that I found, in the most
literal form.

>From 4.2.4

tIjwI'ghom vIchenmoH
I cause a boarding party to be formed.  (passive.)

HIQoymoH
Cause me to hear (something).  (active)

>From the "cheat sheet"

nuqDaq waqwIj vIlamHa'choHmoH
Where can I cause my shoes to be made undirty? (passive)

Du'IHchoHmoH mIvvam
This helmet causes you to become handsome.  (active)

As you can see, there's an equal division.  But I've only searched in TKD.  I
haven't looked through TKW, and I don't have PK or CK.  If anyone can, could you
see if you could find some there?  Thanks.

								--qoror

Back to archive top level