tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 07 20:52:35 1997

RE: "nuqneH" Sajatlh

ja' qoror:
>...Okrand wasn't consistent in his examples with "-moH."  Some of
>them are passive, and some active -- I'll list all that I found, in the most
>literal form.
>
>tIjwI'ghom vIchenmoH
>I cause a boarding party to be formed.  (passive.)
>
>HIQoymoH
>Cause me to hear (something).  (active)
>
>nuqDaq waqwIj vIlamHa'choHmoH
>Where can I cause my shoes to be made undirty? (passive)
>
>Du'IHchoHmoH mIvvam
>This helmet causes you to become handsome.  (active)

Look again -- *all* of these examples are active.
"I cause [something]."
"[Hey, you,] Cause [something]."
"Where can I cause [something]?"
"This helmet causes [something]."

What you're reading as active vs. passive might be more a matter of
the transitivity of the base verb that gets the {-moH} on it.  The
first and last example you give are very similar; why do you read
one as passive and the other as active?

Actually, the example with {chen} is interesting.  The "official"
definition of {chen} is "take form"; he is translating it instead
as "be formed".  It's a slight blurring of the line that we tend
to draw between "stative" and "non-stative intransitive" verbs.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level