tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 07 16:33:04 1997

RE: KLBC: <lan> jIyajbe'

jatlh SI'Ilud:

> vaj pablIj vIlughmoH neH. qaQaHlaHbe'.
> <<<
>
> va! mujon quv'e'. {{{:-)>
>

> A bit of apposition with {wot <lan>}, but we can do that. I try to avoid
> overdoing it, though, as it can get confusing.
> <<<
>
> nuqjatlh. jIyajbe' <apposition>.

Say {<apposition> vIyajbe'}.  I don't think {yaj} counts as a verb of saying.

Apposition, the act of of putting two noun phrases which refer to the same
thing next to each other, occurs in this sentence.

Here's another example:

Worf, son of Mogh.

> > >From exercise 6, sentence 9:
> > qeq javvo' mu'tlhegh Hut: <naDev lannISbe' Dochvetlh'e'>
>
> This would do as clipped Klingon. There's no main verb.
>
> Hmmm . . . does the sentence really say that?
> <<<
>
> HIja'! mu'tlhegh ghItlhbejpu' <David Barron>.

toH!  chaq lughbe', David.

> > I translate it as (guessing)
> > vImughlaw' <That thing doesn't go here.>
>
> I don't know how quotations work with verbs like {mugh}, but probably treat
> them as the objects of the verb. Otherwise, I'd have to use {jI-} instead of

> {vI-}.
>
> And {-law'} doesn't mean you're guessing about how accurate your translation

> is. It means you're guessing that you are translating at all!
> <<<
>
> vaj jIghItlhnIS: <mu'tlheghvetlh jImugh 'e' vIloy>

maj.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian