tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 01 16:25:08 1997

Re: "nuqneH" Sajatlh

jatlh Marian Schwartz <[email protected]>:

> 	vagh) To Captain Krankor:  I'd like to produce some backing from a real
> language for your '"-vo'" trick'.  I study German, although right now it's
> pretty elementary.  In German, "some of them" is "ein paar von ihnen," which
> literally means "some from them."  "von" means "from", [...]

No, it doesn't.

Since prepositions are used in highly idomatic ways (at least in IE
languages), translating them on their own and not as part of a
particular idiom is questionable. That said...

In German, "von" sometimes indicates an origin ("from"), but it is also
used to express a possessive relationship ("of"), where <A "von" B> is
equivalent to <genitive(B) A>. In the example you give, it's a
possessive. "Some of them" -> "einige von ihnen" could be rephrased as
"ihrer einige".

--
Christian 'naddy' Weisgerber			     [email protected]
  See another pointless homepage at <URL:http://home.pages.de/~naddy/>.

Back to archive top level