tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 01 10:02:10 1997

"nuqneH" Sajatlh

	nuqneH!

	/KLI/Daq jIchu'.  qoror 'oH pongwIj'e'.  naDev jabbI'IDwIj wa'DIch 'oH
Dochvam'e'.  tlhIngan Hol vIlo' vIneH Dochvam vIlo'taHvIS, 'a Hol vIja', vaj rut
tera'ngan Hol vIlo'nIS.  jIQoS.
	---
	Before I found out about the mailing list, I thought of many things, so
I'll list them.
	---
	wa') pongwIj vISuqpu' De'Daq vay' vInejnISpu'DI'.  poHwIj vuSbe'lu, vaj
jIlengpu'.  qaSpu'DI' Dochvam /Koror/ vItu', 'ej muqip vay'.  pup.
	cha') I think if you put "taHHa'" on the end of a verb, it gives the
notion of "once and only once."  This doesn't violate Klingon grammar.  TKD,
4.3:  "Rovers... can come just about anywhere except following a Type 9 suffix."
"taH" is Type 7, Aspect.  You could also use the same reasoning to say that
"pu'Ha'" means future tense, but I hesitate to go that far.
	loS)  /Dr. Lawrence Schoen/vaD jabbi'IDvam'e':  yabQel ghaH vavwI''e'.
motlhchu' Doch DabIDnajpu' jatlh.
	vagh) To Captain Krankor:  I'd like to produce some backing from a real
language for your '"-vo'" trick'.  I study German, although right now it's
pretty elementary.  In German, "some of them" is "ein paar von ihnen," which
literally means "some from them."  "von" means "from, "paar" means "some," and
"ihnen" is the form of the word "they" that goes with "von."  ("ein" is the
indefinite article, but forget about that because German uses it ina slightly
different way than we do.)
	jav) If people can loosen their grip on reality and delve into the
history of Kronos, I have a word origin speculation.  "taHqeq" is anepithet for
a person.  "taH" means "continue, endure, go on," and "qeq" means "military
drill."  Originally, "taHqeq" would mean "a continuing drill," but it would have
(sorry, might have), evolved into "an officer who keeps on drilling his
soldiers," and later "a person who keeps on performing the same tired routine
over and over."  For Klingons, who crave action, this would be a terrible
insult, and, later, an epithet.
	Soch) Those of you who've translated the "stuffed to'baj leg" recipe in
jatmey cha' know it's thoroughly disgusting for humans.  But I've worked it into
a recipe.  It's obviously way too late for this summer, but if you think it
sounds good you could work it in for the qep'a' vaghDIch.  Here it is.

	Ingredients:  	2 lbs lamb		1/4 lb mushrooms		2
carrots
			2 bell peppers	1 tomato		soy sauce
chicken broth

	Chop up lamb semi-finely -- about same size as index finger past last
joint.  (Pardon the graphic description, but it was the first accurate one I
thought of.)  Chop up vegetables to same size.  Mix both together.  Lash lightly
with soy sauce.  Put enough broth in so as not to dry out.  Bake at 350 degrees
until tender.  petIv.

	---
	wej vInIdpu, Soj'e' vIparbogh 'ej luparHa'bogh latlhpu' 'oH 'e' vIQubmo'.

	chorgh) I think that you can do appositives if the subject or object is
not 3rd person.  You just use the appropriate verb prefix and put the appositive
in the place of the subject or object.  I don't know about other forms yet, but
this is at least something.  Here are some examples.
				jagh boQaw'nIS negh
			You, the soldiers, must destroy the enemy.

				loDvam vIvorlaH Qel
			              I, a doctor, can cure this man.

	Hut)  One last thing:

				       SaQaw'moH
			       I will give orders for your destruction.

								Qapla',

								qoror

Back to archive top level