tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 01 15:24:14 1997

Re: KLBC: New Words - magic, magician

|>> for magic and magician (sorcerer, etc.).
|>>      chambe'cham = magic (no-technology technology)
|>>      chambe'chamwI' = magician (no-technology technician)
|
|Even if these worked grammatically (which they don't) I don't like them.
|They are ambiguous.  In the KSRP version of "Hamlet" the word "witch" is
|translated as *qa' SeHwI'*, "Controller of Spirits".  Extending this idea,

Which is equally ambiguous as it also describes what an "exorcist" does.

|I would think that *qa' HoS* or "Spirit Power" would work reasonably well
|for "magic"

I guess it depends on just what your tradition considers "magic" and what
it considers "religion" (for which we do have a word: lalDan). One person's
"spell" is another's "prayer" or "blessing." All of which, of course, is
irrelevant to what the Klingons may believe--if anything. Any Wiccans care
to add their cha' DeQ to this discussion?

|SuSvaj

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level