tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 24 22:07:51 1997

Re: KLBC: The first time, Grammar check

ja' peHruS:
>I have posted elsewhere evidence backing my feeling that Verbs of motion may
>or may not take the locative {-Daq}.

What "elsewhere" is this?  Would you mind posting it for us here on the
tlhIngan-Hol mailing list?  I for one don't have access to MSN...

>{choH} not only means "begins."  That is actually the secondary meaning.  The
>primary meaning is "changes, alters."

The way I think of it, the *only* meaning of {-choH} is "change".  Often
the best English *translation* is "begins", sometimes it's "becomes", and
on occasion "changes to" sounds right.

>{tInchoHtaH} means "continues to
>change to getting bigger,"  i.e., "swells."

If {tIn} meant "be bigger" then I might agree, but it just means "be big"
and I think {tInchoHtaH} sounds klunky.  {tIntaH} makes plenty of sense.

>> Again, we have evidence that {leng} doesn't take the route traveled as the
>> object: {'Iw bIQtIqDaq bIlengjaj} "May you travel the river of blood."
>
>Since I am not traveling "at" the qep'a' loSDIch, but rather traveling "to"
>it, I stand by my post elsewhere that I have a strong feeling that Verbs of
>motion include the prepositional concepts we have in English such as "to,
>toward."  Your example above may imply that warriors travel "on" the river of
>blood.

There's no distinction between "on", "at", "in", "toward", etc. in the
Klingon suffix {-Daq}.  It's a general-purpose locative indicator.  This
"argument" of yours points out the danger of relying on simple formulaic
translations for Klingon concepts.

>> Do' qep'a' loSDIchDaq jIlengDI' *crutches* vIlo'nISbe'law'
>> Fortunately, when I travel to qep'a' loSDIch, I shouldn't need to use
>> crutches.
>
>I was hoping to no longer need the crutches at least a few days before I
>began the journey to the conference, not as late as "as soon as" I leave for
>the conference.

If I expected to be rid of them *before* I travelled, I'd say {jIlengpa'}.

Back to archive top level