tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 24 22:07:45 1997

Re: Requesting Phrasebook

[email protected] (Adam Ophir Shapira) writes:
>...I have a copy of all of the classic materials for learning Klingon...
>[TKD, CK, PK]
>  However, there is something that I need in order to
>successfully learn the language that appears not to be
>availiable from any of these two sources. I need a
>phrasebook.

Did you notice the "Useful Klingon Expressions" appendix of
The Klingon Dictionary?  Do you have the reference card that
came with Power Klingon?

>  THE KLINGON DICTIONARY is inadequate for this purpose,
>because it truly appears to be a dictioanry, not a textbook,
>and not a phrasebook. It is clearly more suited for
>reference than for anything else.

Perhaps it is better as a reference than as a textbook, but
I'm yet another person who learned Klingon with nothing more
than The Klingon Dictionary and this mailing list as a resource.

But TKD is not just a dictionary.  The word lists comprise only
half of its pages; the other half is a well-presented explanation
to the language's grammar.

>  On the other hand, the casette, CONVERSATIONAL KLINGON,
>has phrases in it, in an order that might be very helpful
>for me to learn ... only I can't use it as a phrase book,
>nor as a source from which to construct one, for a simple
>reason. It contains absolutely *no* information on how
>to *write down* the transliterated Klingon.

Look at the first chapter of The Klingon Dictionary, where the
sounds (and transliterations) are presented.

>  I have developed a system that I can use to aid myself
>in learning languages ... but one thing that this system
>REQUIRES is a phrasebook.

I found a wide variety of phrases here on the mailing list,
along with several people who were quite willing to help me
understand them.

>  Is there anyone who can help me find this necessary
>material for the Klingon language?

I have never seen David Barron's postal course myself, but I
understand it's very good.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level