tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 12 14:41:39 1997

Re: BG...Noun construction

Alan Anderson wrote:

> Dennis Orosz writes:
> >Hegh SuS'a'wI
> >which I'm hoping could/would be translated as "Death Wind"...
>
> I read it as "my major (sentient) wind dies."  Not quite what you wanted, eh?
>
> I'd call it something like {HoHbogh SuS'a'} "gale which kills."
> Don't force yourself to use nouns when verbs do a better job.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'
Couldn't shift gears from english I guess..I kept thinking death wind in
english and trying for that...rather then trying to express causality.
I was working from section 3.2.2. and I'm just confused why that
construction implies sentience.  One of the examples there is of a thing
rather then a being (So'wI) and (of course) since that was what I wanted
I seized on that :)
Is the rule then that wI' ought only to be used for "one who does/is"?
--
Dennis & Kim Orosz aka May'qel tai Reshtarc & Her Holiness
Members; K.L.A.W. K.L.I. G.S.U.S.A. CWA Local 4900

Back to archive top level