tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 12 14:33:34 1997

Re: BG...Noun construction

David Trimboli wrote:

> Hi!  This is SuStel, the BG.  If you want to flag me for help, please use the
> letters "KLBC" at the beginning of the subject line.  It helps keep track of
> things!
This stands for?  I've been trying to follow the digest version most of
the last year but it got to be difficult for me which is why I've come
back to the list.  Some of the conventions I should follow appear to
have changed?

> [email protected] on behalf of Dennis&Kim Orosz wrote:
>
> > Hegh SuS'a'wI
> > which I'm hoping could/would be translated as "Death Wind" but obviously
> > ain't sure of.  I break it out as Strong wind which does/causes Death or
> > at least thats what I'm trying to do.
>
> {-wI'} meaning "thing which does, thing which is" is a *verb* suffix.
> (There's a noun suffix {-wI'}, but this is a possessive suffix, and totally
> unrelated.)  You cannot put verb suffixes on nouns.
I got confused, its in the noun section, 3.2.2. it says "a noun formed
by adding -wI to a verb is a regular noun, so it may be used along with
another noun to form a compound noun."  Which is why I figured this
would be a legal construction.

> {Hegh SuS'a'} does indeed mean "great wind of death."  It also means "the
> great wind dies."
Since I always read Hegh as dies that makes sense to me but when I was
tired and trying to say this about something else I was writing the only
way I could break it out in my head was death wind and I got myself
stuck on that formation.
I kind of like the great wind dies that ought to be a useful
saying...sorry my sick mind just kicked in :)

> If you want "causes death," then you've got a couple of options.  The easiest
> is to use the verb {HoH}: {HoHbogh SuS'a'} "great wind which kills."  (See TKD
> 6.2.3 on how to use {-bogh} and relative clauses.)
Since you and Alan both chose this one its the clear winner.

> Another possibility, a little more convoluted, would be {HeghmoHbogh SuS'a'}
> "great wind which causes (something) to die."
The audience I have in mind for this particular usage will prefer the
simplist construction possible, and actually so do I :)

> By the way, {HeghSuS} "death-wind" sounds a lot like "Jesus" in its Spanish
> pronunciation!
>
> --
> SuStel
> Beginners' Grammarian
> Stardate 97446.0
Thanks.
--
Dennis & Kim Orosz aka May'qel tai Reshtarc & Her Holiness
Members; K.L.A.W. K.L.I. G.S.U.S.A. CWA Local 4900

Back to archive top level