tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 03 06:42:50 1997

Re: jajlo'

Oliver Stoll wrote:

>         QovvaD wanI' vIja'pu'.
>
> as in "I have told Qov about the event", or "I have reported the
> event to Qov".

We have canon to show that this doesn't work...

qaja'pu' HIqaghQo'
I told you, "Don't interrupt me!"

TKD, pg. 67

Based on this example, it is clear (to me at least) that verbs of saying
do not seem to function in the way you describe.  They seem to always
take a direct quotation, though you could also translate it as "I told
you not to interrupt me," but that is SLIGHTLY inaccurate.  I would
assume all verbs of saying work this way.  The only reason {jatlh} can
take a language as an object is because it has two definitions, a fact a
lot of people seem to have overlooked:

jatlh: speak (v) [as in "I speak Klignon," or "Do you speak Spanish?"]
jatlh: say (v) [no examples of {jatlh} used this way, but it is in the
Addendum]

Marc Okrand clearly had a reason for putting this definition in, so I
would hazard to guess that this is a typical verb of saying, like
{ja'}.  Until we get some canon, I'd avoid using this in any far-out
ways, though.  Something tells me the upcoming "Galactic Traveller" book
might shed some light on this one...

-mIqIraH

Back to archive top level