tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 03 20:43:01 1997

Re: jajlo'

ja' mIqIraH:
>...The only reason {jatlh} can
>take a language as an object is because it has two definitions, a fact a
>lot of people seem to have overlooked:
>
>jatlh: speak (v) [as in "I speak Klignon," or "Do you speak Spanish?"]
>jatlh: say (v) [no examples of {jatlh} used this way, but it is in the
>Addendum]

{ja'} also has two definitions:  "tell, report".  If you interpret them
as separate, then "tell" is the verb of saying, and "report" can be used
with the item being reported as its object.  That's how many people are
trying to use it.  But throughout the dictionary, the definitions seem to
be restrictive rather than additive; SuStel's interpretation (that "tell"
is the English word used when there is a specified object and "report" is
how it's translated when the object is vague or unstated) makes a lot of
sense to me.  See {DoH} "back away from, back off" for a similar word.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level