tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 02 19:20:16 1997

Re: Klingon for the Galactic Traveller

Robyn Stewart wrote:

> Is anyone else's anticipation of this book tinged with mild dread?

I most definitely am.  I had the chance to talk to Marc at BabelCon in
April, and he told me that some of us will wish to kill him when we've
read this book.  (This was before you rejoined us, so check in the
archives for my message on the subject.)

> Certainly it will contain some useful new words, and some amusing but
> useless ones.  Probably it will answer a few long argued idiom
> questions, like "Where do you live" and how to give directions. This
> is good.

Marc's words: "Think of it as the Klingon they didn't teach you in
school."

Be afraid.  Be *very* afraid.

> I'm not sure what I'm apprehensive of.  A flood of new people on the
> listeserver will drive some (probably including me) away with the
> volume, but it will subside and leave us with a few more speakers.

I won't be driven away.  There's always the "next" key.... and this list
is relatively low volume.  (Fidonet's TREK conference used to generate
300 messages a day in it's heyday - THAT was a bear.  I don't do
newsgroups so I have no idea about the volume's they're carrying.)

> vIje' vIneHba', 'ach loQ vIHaj.

There's supposed to be a joke or other reference to Lawrence Welk
somewhere in the book.

vIje' je,'ach vIHaj jay'!

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')