tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 02 19:19:44 1997

Re: Things that make less sense than lolSeHcha

Robyn Stewart wrote:

> I knew what lolSeHcha meant all along, but I'm now willing to admit
> to confusion on:
>
> QoD - (v) maneuver (engines)
>
> Is this a particular thing engines do that I am unaware of? Or does
> it refer to any maneuver performed under power? (So that if I do a
> hard about in a sailboat, jItlhe'qu', but if you shove the tiller
> across to follow in your motorboat, bIQoD.)  Or perhaps the object of
> QoD must be QuQ.  Or are engines an example, so that this matches the
> English definition "move manage or guide cleverly," to distinguish it
> from troop movements or "to cause by clever contriving."  None of the
> English defininitions of maneuver in my dictionary includes engines.

I would speculate that "engines" was a clarification meant to indicate
that the verb referred to the maneuvering of a ship, and not troop
movements or political shenanigans.  I don't think we've seen this in
canon, though, so it's hard to say precisely what he intended.

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD qhojwI'

[email protected]