tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 26 09:22:14 1997

RE: KLBC:Book 1

ja' Ken Traft:
>For the vocabulary available to this point in the lesson, the student would
>use the verb <ghoS>.  <ghoS lupwI'> "The bus is coming."

But {ghoS} is such a multipurpose word.  Using it alone for this sentence is
extremely ambiguous.  {ghoS lupwI'} "The bus/jitney is proceeding on course"
doesn't imply that it's getting closer, or that it will arrive at a specific
destination, much less that the destination is where the speaker is.

I assume "the vocabulary available" would include the verb prefixes?  If so,
{mughoS lupwI'} "The bus/jitney approaches me/us" does a much better job.
And if the verb suffixes are known, {mughoSlI' lupwI'} is nearly perfect.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level