tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 21 21:42:53 1997

Re: KLBC:Book 1

Kenneth Traft wrote:

> >On the subject of "that," the Type 4 noun suffix, if you cannot think of an
> >appropriate noun to attach it to, then you're probably not saying the
> >sentence very well.
>
> This sentence is a bit "unfair".  <Doch> is a noun.  The use of <Doch> with
> <-vam> and <-vetlh> is prevelent throughout "Okrand Canon" and consistent with
> the principle of "straight forwardness".

Freshly back from the qep'a' as I am, I saw this and thought, "Marc
wimped out when he used {Dochvam} for an unspecified 'that'".  This is
one case where "putting myself into a Klingon mindset" would force (now,
at least) me to rephrase.  {Dochvam} is really "that thing" and I just
can't help but feel that a Klingon wouldn't be that non-specific (except
in the cases where he truely didn't know what the item was).

Just my thought, as I start reading the list with a fresh perspective
(and {yay yay DaHjaj yay DaHjaj yay wIghaj!} looping through my
brain...)

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD qhojwI'