tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 15 20:52:02 1997

RE: KLBC:Book 1

>Probably the best word for "The bus is coming" is {chol} "come closer."

In Book 1, <chol> is not in the vocabulary.  While you can definitely get
"answers" to questions on the list, the Beginning Grammarian will probably not
be familiar with Glen's texts and could make things confusing going forward in
the lessons.

I believe it is important to be able to use this list for help and would
suggest that you NOT ask "How to say something" from the lesson exercises, but
rather translate the sentence as best you can asking if what you translated
can be valid for the sentence.  The Grammarian will probably let you know if
what you stated is "OK" and may offer alternative suggestions.

The "basis" of Glen's text books is to learn basic grammar from a small
vocabulary and build up your vocabulary slowly while learning additional rules
of grammar along the way.

For the vocabulary available to this point in the lesson, the student would
use the verb <ghoS>.  <ghoS lupwI'> "The bus is coming."  There are of course
many ways to convey the idea, but the intent of the course is to start small
and grow.  Book 2 and Book 3 get more into variations on suffixes and many
more prefixes.  Glen's text book approach is simple, slow, and helpful to
beginning students (but then after all he is MY GOD -- *inside joke*).

>On the subject of "that," the Type 4 noun suffix, if you cannot think of an
>appropriate noun to attach it to, then you're probably not saying the
>sentence very well.

This sentence is a bit "unfair".  <Doch> is a noun.  The use of <Doch> with
<-vam> and <-vetlh> is prevelent throughout "Okrand Canon" and consistent with
the principle of "straight forwardness".

>paqvetlh vIlaDpu'!
>I read that!
>paqvam vIlaDpu'!
>Better yet, since this is the current topic, you could say
>In English you wouldn't say "I read this ..."

<paqvetlh> is "that book" and <paqvam> is "this book".  I believe anyone
translating them would say "that book" or "this book" not "this" or "that".
Canon clearly shows "this" and "that" represented as <Dochvam> and
<Dochvetlh>.

It would probably be best to direct specific questions regarding Glen's text
books to my personal EMAIL and then, if there is no objection from the
Grammarians, post my comments to the list for additional comments from them.

Ken
[email protected]

Back to archive top level