tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 24 08:10:03 1997

Re: vegh

According to Steven Boozer:

> : In that case we could also use this verb to describe to someone what
> : a person is doing during his nentay (if the row of Klingons carrying
> : 'oy'naQmey as a single "entity" that is part of the nentay has a
> : single word tlhIngan Hol name, and we would know it) with a
> : very simple and compact "[the row of klingons] vegh", am I right?
> : This row of klingons could be seen as a path with an entrance, an
> : exit and a very definate boundary (the klingons with the 'oy'naQmey).
> :
> : peSHIr

I suspect this is stretching the term, since all the examples
Okrand gave were three dimensional openings. Yours is bound
only in two dimensions. You don't pass through two rows of
warriors. You pass BETWEEN two rows of Klingons. While
prepositional concepts do not pass consistently between
languages, in this case, I doubt {vegh} handles this case.

> One might (now) very well order the initiate to get moving by saying,
> {tIvegh!}.

That just sounds very strange to me. I'd expect the people
yelling this to either form an arch, as two did at qep'a', or
I'd expect the speakers to be giants with doorways in their
bellies, taunting the listener to climb through these doors.

> Okrand has described this very ceremony in Skybox card S9,
> finessing the lack of a word for "row (of people)" - apparently {tlhegh}
> "line, rope" wasn't quite right:
>
>   poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'. chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'
>   "The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors."

Does the card really have a period there? That first
mu'tlheghqoq has no main verb.

> How did this scene play out in KCD?

In English, as I remember it.

> Voragh