tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 21 21:42:33 1997

Re: vegh

Guido wrote:

> Incidentally, magh has acquired quite a semantic burden as of TKW, now
> connoting "reveal, indicate." This was partly odd because we have the
> semimetaphorical "Her eyes betrayed sadness," but why this homophonous usage
> should carry over into Klingon is funky. That's why we have (and rightly so)
> separate words {chIl} and {luj} as respective translations for the
> homophonous "lose". Does magh deserve a big "oh well"?

Possibly.  I see the "reveal" aspect of {magh} as "revealing something
that one wouldn't normally want revealed".  The sadness which her eyes
"betrayed" or "revealed" is not something she *wanted* others to see;
someone or something (in this case, perhaps her subconscious mind)
caused that hidden thing to be visible.  YMMV.
--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD qhojwI'

[email protected]