tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 21 10:44:21 1997

Re: vegh

Eduardo Fonseca wrote:
: > 	So, can I say:
: > A lonely freighter flying through the space?
: > (loghDaq vegh puvtaH mob tongDuj )

Thaddaeus Vick answered:
:      No, {vegh} is a verb.  You are trying to use it as a preposition,
: which I don't think we even have in Klingon (as separate words anyway).
: "A lonely freighter flies through space" would be something along the
: lines of {logh vegh tongDuj mob}.  (Note the correct position of the
: adjectival verb {mob}).

Agreed, {vegh} is a verb but can we really use it this way?

... and charghwI' wrote:
>Note that this does mean:
>A man goes through an open door, a bird goes through an open
>window or a woman goes through a tunnel.
>
>Note that it explicitly does NOT mean:
>A man's fist goes through a closed door, an arrow goes through a
>bird's heart or a woman goes through a forest.
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm puzzled by this last example: does the woman actually "touch" the forest
as she walks through it? These examples are so similar, were they used by
Okrand at qep'a'? If so, they would seem to imply that {vegh} means to "go
through" some sort of opening and not the more general "traverse" or
"penetrate". If {ngem vegh be'} "A woman goes through a forest" is not
allowed, then we may not be able to use it to translate "A ship goes through
space" (if Klingons think of space as somehow touching or surrounding a
starship similar to water surrounding a submarine or air an airplane). But
it seems clear that we can use {vegh} in {*'och'a' vegh lupDuj} "The
runabout passes through the wormhole" (whatever the word for "wormhole"
turns out to be, in Trek they have identifiable openings - like tunnels).

Seeking enlightenment.

Voragh

P.S. Were there any other tidbits Okrand passed along at qep'a' or was he
there just to play?

Back to archive top level