tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 11 12:34:39 1997

Re: Qov's challenge

Looks like SuStel is getting the ones marked KLBC and leaving the
rest to me.

peHruS wrote
& [Qov wrote]
& qatlh jor romuluSngan Duj
&
& De'wI' Qapbe'mo' jorchu' Duj ra'pu'
"Because it didn't function the computer the ship completely exploded
it/she/he had ordered it."
Remember word order in a Klingon clause is object-verb-subject.
If the computer ordered the explosion, it didn't just not function
(Qapbe') it malfunctioned. (QapHa').
You seem to have two verbs without V9 suffixes in the same sentence.
how about (I have to guess your meaning):
QapHa'mo' DewI' jorchu' Duj 'e' ra'
Because the computer malfunctioned, it ordered the ship to explode
Qapbe'mo' DewI' jorchu' Duj net ra'
Because the computer didn't work, the ship was ordered exploded.

& paw'chuqmo' chunDab romuluSngan Duj je jor Duj
& chechmo' chIjwI' vergh paw' romuluSngan Duj 'ej jor 'oH

You've tried two different ways of saying "X collided with Y" here.
We're told that paw' is "collide" rather than "collide with."  While
I wouldn't be surprised  if one of your ways turned out to be
correct, I suggest: <paw' X Y je> "X and Y collided" or <YDaq paw' X>
"X collided into Y" instead.

& mupchuqmo' Hap rugh je jorchu' Hoch Duj
Use <Duj naQ> "the entire ship," unless you mean "every ship."

& romuluSngan Duj qIpmo' DIvI'may'Duj 'otlh peng jorpu' 'oH

"Because a Federation ship's photon torpedo hit the Romulan ship, it
exploded." The antecendent to 'oH is a little vague in the Klingon
because it's so far away, but we already know what exploded, from the
question I asked, so fair enough.

& bong ghopDap chem 'elmo' romuluSngan Duj 'ej 'ul tlhegh
Because the Rom ship accidentally entered an asteroid *field* and
*?voltage/?shock/?electrical energy unit* line.

We've seen chem in peQ chem and HoSchem but it doesn't mean it
carries the English meaning "area containing."  It might only apply
to invisible phenomena or fields with force lines.  Try something
like mIch or Sep instead.  You have the sentence conjunction 'ej
here, but neither of the "sentences" contains a main verb.  Try this
one again.

& ghorlu'mo' jor romuluSngan Duj QuQ

Because it was broken the Rom ship's engine exploded.
Fair enough.

 - Qov

Back to archive top level