tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 11 12:38:21 1997

Re: lutHomwIj

lab 'elren HoD:
& > Qo'noSDaq ram tam. ngemDaq yIt Human mob.
'elrenvaD jIvang vangta'DI' SuStel.

Cody responded
& You should have had at the beggining: "ngemDaq yIt Human loD/be'
& mob" A lone Human male/female walks in the forest". This would have
& left no confusion over male/female. Also,"maSDaq wov legh" I think
& is a little confusing. I would add,"maSDaq wov legh ghoH" to make
& it,"(He/She) sees the moon's brightness". All in all, very good.

Cody, I can see you translated the story into English as you read it.
It is not necessary for the writer to identify the sex of the rebel,
any more than it is necessary for him to identify the age, social
caste, or golf handicap.  The language doesn't require it,
and at no point in the story is the rebel's genetalia or other
sex-linked characteristics an issue. Just think "ghaH" and let that
cover either possibility.  Imagine a Klingon reading "I was scolded
for having dropped my helmet" and complaining that you should  say
"for dropping it on purpose" or "for having just happened to drop
it," to disambiguate his own -pu'/-lI' confusion on chagh.

Other problems with the construction <maSDaq wov legh> aside, the
pronoun you suggest is pretty unnecessary here.  There is nothing
else that could be the subject of the sentence.

 - Qov, who uses words like "disambiguate"

Back to archive top level