tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 14 05:03:41 1997

new words in dB format

I had thought to reply to this privately, but I decided that this was too good
a chance to preach.  <g>

 >> Speaking of new words... Those of you at the qep'a' last year may
 >> recall I lost most of my Annotated Dictionary files in a hard drive
 >> crash.  I'm *finally* done re-entering all of TKD's vocabulary and
 >> I'm working through the new words list.  Soon, I'll be ready to print
 >> version 1.0 of Qob's Annotated Klingon Dictionary (For Personal Use
 >> Only).

 > I might be able to help in this area.  Quite a while ago I created a
 > database with all of the words, from TKD and the new words list.  To
 > update it, all I do is import the new words list text file, then
 > search  for duplicate listings and delete them.

 > I then export the database to a text file, open in a word processor
 > and  print it.  In landscape mode, two 5.5x8.5 pages to a standard
 > sheet of  paper, double-sided gives me a dictionary perfectly formatted
 > for my  day-runner organizer.

I started in dBase as well, but decided that fixed-length records weren't
flexible enough for me (and I also had definite ideas about how I wanted the
document to be formated for printing).  So, I entered the whole thing as a
WordPerfect file.

Actually, there are several files.

The "Klingon Dictionary" side has the {tlhIngan Hol} word, part of speech,
definition, source, and comments/notes/speculations.

A separate file is English to Klingon - basically just a wordlist.

Another file contains proper names.

Yet another has all legal Klingon phonemes enumerated; all phonemes
corresponding represented by one syllable words are boldfaced, all phonemes
found only in multi-syllable words are italicized, and phonemes not found in
canon at all are in plain type.

Finally, I have a file of "speculative" words, whose meanings aren't defined
(For example, {lItHa'} means "get off".  I speculate that {lIt} means "get
on".  {nal} occurs in {be'nal}, {loDnal} and {nalqaD} and clearly means "mate,
spouse" but does not occur alone in canon.)

Now that the "grunt work" of entering all the words is done, I'm
cross-referencing, putting synonyms and antonyms with the definitions, and
(when MO has provided them) putting in clarifications in the comment sections.
 I'm also considering adding usage examples from canon... but that may wait
awhile.

I even have considered entering the grammar sections of TKD and annotating
*them* with the results of the discussions here on the list - too many great
ideas get tossed around here, and I can never remember them when I need them.
I would love to have these at my fingertips when writing in Klingon.  *This*
would be a major undertaking, and involve some pretty heavy archive
searching... but I may just do it.  Someday.

 > Would it be helpful to you if I just sent you the file, or a printed
 > copy, or both?

Actually, neither!  This has been an incredible learning experience - that was
the whole point of subjecting myself to it.  I've become a firm believer in
encouraging each student of the language to create their *own* annotated
dictionary.

 > I am working on an all encompassing Klingon Encyclopedia that will be
 > formated for this standard sized day runner so that updates can be
 > added  easily.

I have seen other proposals for Klingon Encyclopediae - indeed, I've seen some
"beta copies".  Some are impressive and try to include *everything* Klingon
fandom has ever generated!  That's a bit beyond my interests, though.

 > Would you be interested in contributing to the final Encyclopedia?

Probably not.  I have too much else on my plate!

 > Clint St.Laurent
 > First Officer
 > IKV Kahless Ro'

To which organization does the Kahless Ro' have allegiance?

| Commander Qob sutai-qutvaj     Commanding Officer, IKV Crystal Dagger |
|       Quadrant Adjutant, Northern Quadrant, Dark Moon Fleet, KAG      |
|              === Member, Klingon Language Institute ===               |
|                      Moderator, Fidonet KAG Echo                      |
|               Fido: Bill Willmerdinger, 1:2613/477.1701               |
|         E-mail: [email protected]   [email protected]         |