tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 14 05:03:39 1997

Speaking of new words...

 >> I haven't been able to come up with any decent translation of
 >> "Annotated"!

 >> At the moment, my "test" title page reads {Qob tlhIngan mu'ghom
 >> poDHa'}.  I figured that anything "unclipped" *ought* to be
 >> "annotated", but that might only make sense in a backfit.  Does anyone
 >> have any suggestions?

 > Well, I call my own AKD a {tlhIngan Hol Sachlu'bogh mu'ghom}, i.e. an
 > "expanded" Klingon dictionary. I suppose you could also call it a
 > {QIjlu'bogh mu'ghom}, an "explanatory" or "commented upon" dictionary
 > (what Russians call a tolkovyi slovar') depending on how much extra
 > material you've added to the integrated Klingon-English vocabulary
 > list.

The message previous to this describes what I've done (and what I want to do).
 In naming the thing, I wanted to avoid long {-bogh} clauses... because like
you, I'm never sure if I've used them correctly!

 > For instance, through the wonders of cut-and-paste I've included *all*
 > the relevent attestations from canon to *each* vocabulary entry,
 > turning my AKD in effect into a concordance and usage guide. I've also

How did you get all the canon in?  Laborious typing, or a page scanner?  (That
page scanner is my *next* hardware purchase.  Just let the price drop another
seventy or so bucks....)

 > This is, by definition, a work-in-progress (over 3 years now) and is
 > currently some 163 pages long, last time I looked.

My frist printout of my AKD has 107 pages of Klingon-to-English, 33 pages of
English-to-Klingon, and 33 pages of phoneme charts.  Of course, lots of that
is blank space....

 > I'm planning on attending qep'a' loSDIch and I'll bring copies and
 > printouts of all my files to compare with what others have done. Maybe
 > we can even have a session on Klingon lexicography!

Sounds like an ideal topic for a workshop.  Lawrence?  ~mark?

 > As to {poD}, to me {tlhIngan Hol poD} is "Clipped Klingon" whereas
 > {tlhIngan Hol poDHa'} would be more like "formal" or "standard
 > Klingon", with all of the affixes in the right places and the syntax
 > correct. "Unclipped" in English feels more like {poDbe'} used in a
 > purely descriptive sense, for example: {poDbe' tlhIngan Hol
 > mu'tlheghvam} "This Klingon sentence isn't 'clipped'."

Possibly you're right.  I got into the habit of thinking of {-Ha'} as creating
"polar opposites" because of pairs such as {par}/{parHa'}, {ghom}/{ghomHa'},
and the ever popular {muS}/{muSHa'}.  On the other hand, "formal" or
"Standard" Klingon *is* what most dictionaries concern themselves with.

And on the gripping hand, perhaps {poDHa'} actually means "unabridged" and the
spirit of *Danyel web'ISter* lives within me....  <g>

> Maybe someone should go ask Maltz!

I may just do that at BabelCon!

Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD qhojwI'