tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 13 19:26:23 1997

nuqneH

jatlh SuStel:

>Yes, but English capitalizes proper nouns.  We have no idea how Klingons
do it
>in {pIqaD}, and there's really no pronunciation difference when you're
using
>this romanized phonetic alphabet.  In any case it's a moot point; we both
>agree.

Despite the ongoing debate, I do intend to keep Jajlo' as my name, simply
because I like it better than "jajlo'."  While I take the point that naming
conventions are not necessarily the same in Klingon as in English, all of
Paramount's Klingon names that I have seen (in show credits) have begun
with capitals (Gowron, Worf and so on).  You can perhaps argue that these
could be English versions of the names, but Paramount acknowledges them,
and that's good enough for me.

Referring to my signature, "Don't Forget to Write!" jatlh SuStel:

>Uh-oh.  What we have here is a joke which doesn't translate from English
into
>Klingon.  At least, not  off the top of my head . . .
>
>In Klingon, I'd accept the idea that Klingons "record" both messages and
>stories.  I know they can "record" songs (see the New Words list, {qon}),
and
>it seems likely that other forms of literature is the same.  Assuming
that, to
>preserve your joke you'd have to say, {bIqon 'e' yIlIjQo'}.  But somehow,
this
>doesn't really work.  One would not understand it to have anything to do
with
>writing e-mail, I think.
>
>Unless someone else has an idea, I think you may have to settle for
finding a
>new signature line, or keeping it in English.

I don't mean to be difficult, but since there is a Klingon word for
"write"�ghItlh� I don't see why I can't use it.  True, it loses part of the
double meaning, but it keeps the meaning of write in the sense of "to put
characters on paper," which is the more important half for me, given my
background as a writer.  C'mon, SuStel, I have faith that you can help me
with this one!   ;-)

Back to archive top level