tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 14 18:57:51 1997

RE: nuqneH

January 13, 1997 10:31 PM EST, jatlh Jajlo':

> Despite the ongoing debate, I do intend to keep Jajlo' as my name, simply
> because I like it better than "jajlo'."  While I take the point that naming
> conventions are not necessarily the same in Klingon as in English, all of
> Paramount's Klingon names that I have seen (in show credits) have begun
> with capitals (Gowron, Worf and so on).  You can perhaps argue that these
> could be English versions of the names, but Paramount acknowledges them,
> and that's good enough for me.

Actually, we have quite a few Klingon names which have both Klingon and
English "spellings."  Take "Worf" for instance.  The Klingon *pronunciation*
is {wo'rIv}.  Who knows how it's represented in {pIqaD}?  But in the Klingon
phonology, the name is not capitalized.  When I pronounce the sound {j}, how
does one capitalize it?  It's a sound, not a letter!

You can *spell* the pronunciation of your name however you like.  It makes no
difference.

> Referring to my signature,
> I don't mean to be difficult, but since there is a Klingon word for
> "write"�ghItlh� I don't see why I can't use it.  True, it loses part of the
> double meaning, but it keeps the meaning of write in the sense of "to put
> characters on paper," which is the more important half for me, given my
> background as a writer.  C'mon, SuStel, I have faith that you can help me
> with this one!   ;-)

You can say {bIghItlh 'e' yIlIjQo'} if you want to.  It means, "Don't forget
to print characters on a medium!"  If you like to say that, then do so, by all
means!

I don't have a substitute for the double-meaning, however.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level