tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 11 21:35:23 1997

RE: nuqneH

January 11, 1997 11:10 PM EST, jatlh Jajlo':

> I must say, you are thorough�thanks!  I'm glad my Klingon was at least
> clear enough for you to figure out what I was **trying** to say!

tugh "basai master" Darur!

> jIyaj.  However, the English word "dawn" is also spelled with a lowercase,
> but the name "Dawn" is uppercase.

Yes, but English capitalizes proper nouns.  We have no idea how Klingons do it
in {pIqaD}, and there's really no pronunciation difference when you're using
this romanized phonetic alphabet.  In any case it's a moot point; we both
agree.

> (Jajlo' jatlh:)

Careful!  Who's doing the talking?  Jajlo', right?  Then she is the subject,
and must come last: {jatlh Jajlo':}.

> >***lIjbe' ghItlh!***
>
> You quite correctly pointed out that "don't forget" should have been
> translated as {yIlIjQo'}.  However, you went on to say:
>
> >{ghItlh} actually refers to putting characters on a paper, so I'm going to
> >choose another verb.  How about {Qum} "communicate."  That's what we
> >mean, right?
>
> Well, actually, no.  I literally meant to put characters on paper�I'm a
> writer.  (I originally began using "Don't Forget to Write!" when e-mailing
> other writers, and eventually decided to use it as my standard signature,
> since it applies both to myself and�usually�the person to whom I am
> writing.)  So, with that clarified, would it be correct to say "bIghItlh
> yIlijQo'!"?  (I'll refrain from using my signature in Klingon while I await
> your answer!)

Uh-oh.  What we have here is a joke which doesn't translate from English into
Klingon.  At least, not  off the top of my head . . .

In Klingon, I'd accept the idea that Klingons "record" both messages and
stories.  I know they can "record" songs (see the New Words list, {qon}), and
it seems likely that other forms of literature is the same.  Assuming that, to
preserve your joke you'd have to say, {bIqon 'e' yIlIjQo'}.  But somehow, this
doesn't really work.  One would not understand it to have anything to do with
writing e-mail, I think.

Unless someone else has an idea, I think you may have to settle for finding a
new signature line, or keeping it in English.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level