tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 12 04:50:27 1997

Re: nuqneH

David Trimboli wrote:
> January 11, 1997 11:10 PM EST, jatlh Jajlo':
> > However, the English word "dawn" is also spelled with a lowercase,
> > but the name "Dawn" is uppercase.
>
> Yes, but English capitalizes proper nouns.  We have no idea how Klingons
> do it in {pIqaD}, [...]

Most likely they don't.  Look at the Earth.  Hundreds of writing
systems have been devised here, but only half a dozen or so have
such a technique as capitalisation for proper nouns.  Most often
they are not marked at all; sometimes there is a special sign to
mark them as names (akin to the asterisks occasionally used here).

Klingons would probably recognise a name-initial {J} or the like
as a concession to Terran habits.

[re "Don't Forget to Write!"]
> In Klingon, I'd accept the idea that Klingons "record" both messages
> and stories.  [...]  Assuming that, to preserve your joke you'd have
> to say, {bIqon 'e' yIlIjQo'}.  But somehow, this doesn't really work.

No, it doesn't.  I might end a letter to a writer by

  Duqonqu'meH qun, yIqon!
  bIQumbe'chugh vaj bIQom

--but that's probably too heavy to quote at the end of every note.

--'Iwvan

--
"mIw'e' lo'lu'ta'bogh batlh tlhIHvaD vIlIH [...]
 poH vIghajchugh neH jIH, yab boghajchugh neH tlhIH"

Back to archive top level