tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 11 20:07:33 1997

nuqneH

nuqneH SuStel,

I must say, you are thorough�thanks!  I'm glad my Klingon was at least
clear enough for you to figure out what I was **trying** to say!

Sat, 11 Jan 97 17:35:48 UT, jatlh SuStel:

>You may spell your name however you like, of course, but be aware that
>no sound in Klingon is represented by the capital letter {J}.  The Klingon

>word  "dawn" must be spelled with a lowercase {j}.  {jajlo'}.

jIyaj.  However, the English word "dawn" is also spelled with a lowercase,
but the name "Dawn" is uppercase.  Since I wasn't happy with {jajlo'} for a
name, I finally decided it made sense use uppercase for my Klingon name as
well.

>Still, I rather like it when names are capitalized (as long as they don't
>begin with a {q}, since you then probably don't need to mark it as a name.

My point exactly.

>Please go over TKD section 6.3 on how to say "to be."

I will indeed.  Thanks for pointing out where I can find it.  (I admit,
I've been having some trouble with that.)

(Jajlo' jatlh:)
>***lIjbe' ghItlh!***

You quite correctly pointed out that "don't forget" should have been
translated as {yIlIjQo'}.  However, you went on to say:

>{ghItlh} actually refers to putting characters on a paper, so I'm going to
>choose another verb.  How about {Qum} "communicate."  That's what we
>mean, right?

Well, actually, no.  I literally meant to put characters on paper�I'm a
writer.  (I originally began using "Don't Forget to Write!" when e-mailing
other writers, and eventually decided to use it as my standard signature,
since it applies both to myself and�usually�the person to whom I am
writing.)  So, with that clarified, would it be correct to say "bIghItlh
yIlijQo'!"?  (I'll refrain from using my signature in Klingon while I await
your answer!)

�Jajlo'

***Don't Forget to Write!***

Back to archive top level