tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 04 10:52:32 1997

Re: Hamlet translations

"nunnery: lit., squadron of the celibate.  (The closest Klingon
> equivalent of a monastic order, these were bands of warriors -- of either

> gender -- who dedicated their lives to fighting, to the point of refusing

> to mate.)

This was an interesting way to translate that particular passage, and it
definitely works.  I can believe that there would be an order of such
fanatical warriors.  However, I don't think its accurate to say that a
"squadron of the celibate" is actually the closest equivalent of a monastic
order in Klingon society.  For example, there is the monastery on Borath
(see "Rightful Heir"), where the clerics lead an isolated, contemplative
life.  We have also seen that the Borath monastery is not limited to males
(If you look closely, there were female Klingons meditating also).  Perhaps
something like *nom boratlh lalDan 'utlhpu' yImuv* would have worked as
well.

SuSvaj

Back to archive top level