tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 27 18:29:19 1997

RE: KLBC: winners/losers

jatlh Y'jImbotlh-wa'maH, of House l'maSto'r:

> I am trying to work out some of the words for a few proverbs, but
> the
> words are not in the TKD.  So I came up with some.

Very often one must construct those concepts which are not basic words in
Klingon.  That's all right; it's what you're supposed to do.

> HIfhwI'  = dirty fighter  (One who fights dirty)

I'm sure you misspelled {HIghwI'}.  This is correct!

> HurwI'   = Outsider  (one who is outside)

{Hur} is a noun, not a verb, so you cannot add noun suffixes to it.  If you're
using "outsider" in the sense of someone who is foreign to the location or
situation, use something else, like {nov} "foreigner, alien."

> Qapla'wI' = winner (one who has success)

Again, {Qapla'} is a noun, and cannot use a verb suffix.  However, if you use
the verb {Qap} "succeed," and use {-wI'}, you get {QapwI'} "one who succeeds,"
or "winner."

> Qapla'bewI' = loser (one who has success-not)

Same here: {Qapbe'wI'} "loser."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian