tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 18 18:20:45 1997

RE: KLBC:lopno'

SuStel wrote:
|[email protected] wrote:
|
|>I was going to use lopno' in a sentence, but I decided that I am not sure I
|>really know what it means. The KCD:Language Lab gives the meaning as "party"
|>with no additional information and shows a group of Klingons gathered around
|>a table with food and cha'nob gifts.  However, in the KCD:Immersion Studies
|>disc one of the guests says "The celebration was declared a lopno'. You have
|>invited all the spirits of our Klingon ancestors."  The only example of a
|>lopno' that we have is the one on KCD held to celebrate a nentay and it is
|>full of references to family traditions and ancestry.
|>
|>I think lopno' may have an emic significance of "celebration of ancestors"
|>and be a specific type of party held in conjunction with the nentay and
|>possibly with other rites of passage. I think it might not make sense to
|>talk about a Christmas lopno' or an informal dinner lopno'.
|
|Here's a bit of speculation: apparently, such a celebration may or may not be
|declared a {lopno'} (otherwise, why would Vok have to point that out to
|K'Tar?). Perhaps Pok's {nentay} could have remained a private matter, for the
|House of Sepich only.  Then it would not be called a {lopno'}.  However, I
|doubt the honor would have been as great, given that Torghn wanted to show off
|his son, whose hunting skills were so renowned.  Besides, I'm sure a little
|strife is welcome at all Klingon ceremonies . . .

|> Do we have any additional information on this?
|
|Nope. That's it as far as I am aware. All we know is that it's a party, and
|that anyone is welcome to one, even if they are enemies ...

The following entry from my AKD was compiled largely from comments made on
this listserv, supplemented by Simon & Schuster advertizing copy, as I
still haven't had a chance to actually watch the ST: Klingon CD yet. I
don't have the necessary hardware.  {:-(

lop'no (spelled thus in the ST: Klingon novelization) (cf. yupma'):
An "open house" celebration held on the eve of a young Klingon's nentay'
following the chontay (or ritual hunt of the tIqnagh, which is roasted and
eaten at the lopno'), hosted by the father of the lopwI'. "Open house"
means any Klingon warrior is welcome and no harm can come to them, even if
they are enemies, while in your home. The mother's duty is to welcome the
guests, who bring cha'nob gifts. You have the choice of honoring the guest
by accepting his gift or... not!

The following exchange is from the novelization (p. 23-24). Vok has just
insulted young Pok's mother, K'Tar:

"Then speaking to Pok, but looking directly into Vok's face, she said,
'Throw this veQ out.' Pok stood and moved toward Vok, reaching for the
unwanted guest. 'bIyem'a'!' Vok said. Pok stopped short of grabbing Vok.
...  'The celebration,' Vok said, 'was declared a lop'no. You have invited
the spirits of all our Klingon ancestors. Tradition dictates that all are
welcome to the lop 'no. Even ancient rivals. Even me, K'Tar.' 'Chut Quj,'
K'Tar said. 'Luq ratlh,' Pok said, almost spitting his words at Vok."

It's interesting to note that Vok's snide question (bIyem'a'? "Would you
sin?") was strong enough to stop young Pok in his tracks.  Apparently
violating the traditions of the lopno' is not something a Klingon would do,
no matter what the provocation.

If anyone who has actually seen the CD wants to amend any of this, I would
welcome your comments.

To return to the original problem, perhaps yupma' "festival" (n) might be
what you're looking for. Many people on this list use it for a "party"  as
well as a general word for "holiday".

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level