tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 26 08:15:36 1997

Re: KLBC:lopno'

I had written:>I think lopno' may have an emic significance of "celebration
of >ancestors" and be a specific type of party held in conjunction with the
nentay and
> possibly with other rites of passage.  I think it might not make sense to
>talk about a Christmas lopno' or an informal dinner lopno'.

Voragh and ~mark sent me quotes from the novelization of the KCD that tend to
supposrt my interpretation.  In addition, Sustel and Voragh both pointed out
the "all are welcome, even enemies" aspect of a lopno'.  I think I will
reserve this word for open house celebrations of coming of age ceremonies
until we learn more.

The only other word we have is yupma' for festival which sounds a little
formal for my intention.  How does anyone feel about lopwI'ghom?  As in :
lopwI'ghom yImuv!  Join the party!

Actually, I want a word for ceilidh. (A ceilidh is a Gaelic social gathering
where people sing, recite poems and stories of heroic deeds, drink a lot,
and, if its a really good party, end up with a free-for-all brawl.  Sounds
like a Klingon party doesn't it?)

-maqlIy

Back to archive top level