tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 17 23:32:29 1997

RE: KLBC:lopno'

On Monday, February 17, 1997 1:56 PM, [email protected] on behalf of
[email protected] wrote:

> I was going to use lopno' in a sentence, but I decided that I am not sure I
> really know what it means.  The KCD:Language Lab gives the meaning as
"party"
> with no additional information and shows a group of Klingons gathered around
> a table with food and cha'nob gifts.  However, in the KCD:Immersion Studies
> disc one of the guests says "The celebration was declared a lopno'.  You
have
> invited all the spirits of our Klingon ancestors."  The only example of a
> lopno' that we have is the one on KCD held to celebrate a nentay and it is
> full of references to family traditions and ancestry.
>
> I think lopno' may have an emic significance of "celebration of ancestors"
> and be a specific type of party held in conjunction with the nentay and
>  possibly with other rites of passage.  I think it might not make sense to
> talk about a Christmas lopno' or an informal dinner lopno'.
>
> Do we have any additional information on this?

Nope.  That's it as far as I am aware.  All we know is that it's a party, and
that anyone is welcome to one, even if they are enemies (though I doubt they'd
let any Cardassians nearby . . .).

Here's a bit of speculation: apparently, such a celebration may or may not be
declared a {lopno'} (otherwise, why would Vok have to point that out to
K'Tar?).  Perhaps Pok's {nentay} could have remained a private matter, for the
House of Sepich only.  Then it would not be called a {lopno'}.  However, I
doubt the honor would have been as great, given that Torghn wanted to show off
his son, whose hunting skills were so renowned.  Besides, I'm sure a little
strife is welcome at all Klingon ceremonies . . .

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level